• What are Cal Grants?

    A Cal Grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. To qualify, you must apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by the deadline and meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements. Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.

    There are three kinds of Cal Grants — A, B and C — but you don’t have to figure out which one to apply for. Your eligibility will be based on your FAFSA or CADAA responses, your verified Cal Grant GPA, the type of California colleges you list on your FAFSA and whether you’re a recent high school graduate.

    Cal Grant Opt Out
    A provision of the program specifies that the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) requires that a grade point average (GPA) be submitted, as specified, to the commission for Cal Grant A and B applicants.
    California Assembly Bill 2160 (AB 2160) requires that each pupil enrolled in grade 12, except for pupils who opt out, as specified, be deemed a Cal Grant applicant. The bill requires that a grade point average be submitted for all Cal Grant A and B applicants, and submitted electronically for all grade 12 pupils at public schools each academic year, except for pupils who have opted out. The grade point averages submitted will then be subject to review by the commission or its designee. The information required and electronically uploaded to the commission includes the following:
    • Student's graduation date
    • Student's GPA
    • Student's date of birth
    • Student's name
    • Mother's last name
    • Father's last name
    • Student's full address
    • Student's gender
    • Parent's phone number
    • Student's phone number
    • Student's school email address
    • Student's school student ID #
    • Student's state student ID#
    If you would like to opt your student out, please fill out the Opt Out Form (en español) and return it to the counseling office no later than January 1 of your student's 11th academic year (junior year).