Financing Your Career

  • More education can make a huge difference in your life — and your family's. It can open doors of opportunity, financially and personally. Find out what going can mean for you. There are several options available to pay for your education after high school if you qualify. Speak to your counselor for more information on any of the options below:

    Federal Grants

    A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post-baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Pell Grant). Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.

    Cal Grants

    A grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. To qualify, you must meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements. Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California


    A scholarship is money that does not have to be repaid. They come from a variety of sources. There are numerous reasons why someone would be awarded a scholarship; therefore there are several different types of scholarships. A merit based scholarship is probably the most common type.

    Federal student loans

    A federal student loan allows students and their parents to borrow money to help pay for college through loan programs supported by the federal government. They usually have low interest rates and offer attractive repayment terms, benefits and options. Generally, repayment of a federal loan does not begin until after the student leaves school. Federal student loans can be used to pay school expenses such as tuition and fees, room and board, books, supplies and transportation.

    Federal student loans are delivered to students through the Direct Loan Program. Loan funds are provided to you through your school.

    Private student loans

    A private student loan is a nonfederal loan issued by a lender such as a bank or credit union. Private student loans often have variable interest rates, require a credit check and do not provide the benefits of federal student loans.

    Family support

    Send your family and friends your high school graduation invitations, along with a letter explaining your college intentions. They may just send you contributions to your college fund. 


Financial Aid Useful Links

  • FAFSA is where you go to obtain a PIN (Personal Identification Number), learn more about the FAFSA, including step-by-step instructions, file online and check the status of your FAFSA.

    CAL DREAM ACT serves students who are ineligible to file the FAFSA.  These include undocumented students, a population that have previously not been allowed to apply for state financial aid assistance

    FASTWEB offers an overall look at financial aid, where to look for it and how to get it.

    CALIFORNIA STUDENT AID COMMISSION has loads of information about Cal Grants and other programs available through the California Student Aid Commission.

    FORTER YOUTH provides information on this exciting opportunity for foster youth and former foster youth.

    CALIFORNIA COLLEGES makes finding and applying to a school in California a no-brainer.

    FEDERAL STUDENT AID provides information from the U.S. Department of Education.

    GOING2COLLEGE to learn about the college and financial aid resources available in each state.

    LATINO COLLEGE DOLLARS provides a scholarship directory for latino students.

    HEALTH JOBS will introduce you to good jobs in healthcare that could be the right fit for you.

    WHO DO YOU WANT 2 BE helps determine what courses to take in high school and community college.