A-G Requirements (minimum university requirements)

  • The requirements below are the minimum requirements needed to qualify to apply to the California public university system (University of California and/or California State University) upon graduating from high school. Private schools and/or out of state universities and colleges may have similar and/or their own separate requirements.


    History/Social Science

    2 years: World History & U. S. History



    4 years: English I - IV



    3 years:  Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus

    • 4 recommended for U.C.
    • Three years is considered up to Algebra II


    Laboratory, Science

    2 years:  Biology, Chemistry, Physics

    • 3 recommended for U.C.
    • CSU requires 1 year of Life Science and 1 yr of Physical Science


    Foreign Language

    2 years:  Same language

    • 3 years recommended for U.C.


    Visual & Performing Arts

    1 year:  Examples:  Art, Acting,  Chorus, or Chamber Choir


    College Preparatory Electives

    1 Year:  Approved college prep. Courses required.

    Select from:  English, Advanced Math, Science, Foreign Language, Social Sciences, Fine Arts, Economics.



    See University of California table for Grade Point Average needed.


Testing Requirements SAT & ACT

  • University of California

    California State University

    • SAT or ACT
    • No test required for students with an admission academic G.P.A. above 3.00 - however it is recommended that students still take one of the tests
    • Click here for more information

    Private Schools

    • Requirements vary

Fee Waiver

  • SAT & ACT fee waivers are available to low-income 11th and 12th grade students in the U.S. or U.S. territories. U.S. citizens living outside the U.S. may be able to have test fees waived. SAT Subject Test fee waivers are available for students in grades nine through 12.

    You’re eligible for fee waivers if you say “yes” to any of these items:

    • You’re enrolled in or eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
    • Your annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
    • You’re enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families (e.g., Federal TRIO programs such as Upward Bound).
    • Your family receives public assistance.
    • You live in federally subsidized public housing or a foster home, or are homeless.
    • You are a ward of the state or an orphan.

    Please see your counselor to request a fee waiver

    Find out more about the SAT or ACT